Chemical Sensitivity Relief
Seven Ways to Control Your Chemical Sensitivity
Millions of people around the world experience allergic reactions when exposed to certain chemicals or compounds. For those particularly sensitive, chemical exposure can cause eczema, asthma flare-ups and many other problems. Recent studies have shown that prolonged exposure to common household cleaners can cause problems, especially in children.
If it is not possible to live in modern day America without exposing yourself to some harmful chemicals, it is at least possible to keep that exposure to a minimum. By following these seven simple steps, you can lead a healthier, more chemical-free life. The steps are listed below in approximate order of importance.
- Use personal products that are specifically made for the people with chemical sensitivities. Many personal products can be very irritating to the skin of people with chemical sensitivities. Soaps, shampoos, sunscreens, hairspray, moisturizers and other products all can contain a variety of harmful chemicals. Fortunately, there are a variety of personal products made without any such chemicals. These products can be safely used without irritating the skin.
- Use Organic Bedding. Your bedding touches your body for eight hours a day or more. Conventional bedding is manufactured using a variety of harmful detergents, bleaches, dyes, and other chemicals that can irritate your skin. Organic sheets, blankets, pillows, comforters, and dust mite covers will allow you to sleep without exposing your skin to such irritants.
- Remove the chlorine from your bath and shower water. Chlorine is one of the most damaging skin irritants. Showering or bathing in water with a high chlorine content can cause substantial eczema flair-ups. Fortunately, a employing a few products can dechlorinate your bath and shower water conveniently, effectively, and inexpensively.
- Use a laundry detergents that is free of harmful chemicals. For people with chemical sensitivities, choosing the right laundry detergent can have a substantial impact on helping them feel better. If your laundry detergent contains a chemical which irritates your skin, it will affect many of your clothes. By using a laundry detergent free of those chemical irritants, you can wear your clothes without them causing any irritation.
- Use household cleaning products that are free of harmful chemicals. Common household cleaners use a wide variety of chemicals which many people find irritating. There is no reason to use them because cleaning products can work effectively without using any irritating chemicals. The HomeFree line of cleaning products contains a product for every major category of household cleaner, each of which has been formulated without using any of the chemicals known to cause adverse reactions in chemically sensitive people.
- Run a HEPA air purifier with a charcoal pre-filter to remove harmful odors & particulates. To remove odors and pollutants from indoor air, nothing works better than a charcoal pre-filter. A good HEPA air purifier utilizes a charcoal pre-filter in addition to the HEPA filter. The charcoal pre-filter will capture the odors and irritants.
- Use a face mask to avoid inhaling harmful particulates. Sometimes it is impossible to avoid being in an environment contaminated by air pollution or other irritants. In these circumstances, it can be very helpful to have a mask to filter those contaminants out of the air you breathe. Some masksspecialize in filtering out air pollution. Other masks filter a wide variety of allergens and irritants.