Filtrete 1500 Ultra Allergen Filter
The 3M Filtrete™ 1500 Ultra Allergen Filter, for furnace, HVAC or central heating and cooling system, is a high-efficiency, pleated filter that captures 90% of large airborne particles, like pollen, mold spores and dust mite debris. This filter similarly traps smaller particles that can carry odors, pet dander, bacteria and viruses.
The Ultra Allergen filter carries a 3M Microparticulate Performance Rating of 1500 MPR (roughly equivalent to MERV 11). The filter uses mechanical filtration and electrostatically charged Filtrete fibers to attract and capture small particles without restricting air flow. This allows a higher volume of clean air to pass through the filter, and uses less energy to do so. Overall, a great performer. Change filter every 3 months, depending on use. 1" thick filter available in 26 sizes. Box contains one (1) 3M Filtrete™ 1500 Ultra Allergen Filter (purple package).
- Electrostatically charged pleated filter traps 90% of larger airborne particles, like pollen, mold spores and dust mite allergen
- Also captures pet dander, bacteria, viruses, and other microscopic particles
- Carries 3M's Microparticulate Performance Rating (MPR) of 1500 (equivalent to a MERV 11 rating)
- Traps 50% more particles than 3M's 1000 MPR filter, and more effective than ordinary fiberglass filters
- Meets American Lung Association's Health House® Indoor Air Quality Guidelines
- Will not support the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew or fungi, under normal conditions
- Replace filter every 3 months, with normal use
- For residential use only
- Available in 26 sizes
American Lung Association Health House® Program
Indoor air quality has become a major health concern because so much time is spent indoors both at home and at work. The American Lung Association Health House® Program was formed with the mission of “Providing a foundation for Healthier Indoor Environments.”
- John L. Kirkwood, President and CEO of the American Lung Association, says, “Keeping the air in your home clean is particularly important for people with asthma or allergies, but the quality of indoor air is something all Americans should be concerned about.”
- In addition, Dr. Ian Greaves of the American Lung Association Health House® program says, “Using furnace filters that meet American Lung Association Health House indoor air quality guidelines and replacing them according to manufacturer’s instructions will help reduce levels of pollen, pet dander, smoke and other particles that can trigger or exacerbate allergy and asthma attacks and other potentially serious health problems.”
- 3M works as an educational partner with American Lung Association Health House®, where 3M Filtrete™ filters are used in Health House national demonstration sites. Under the banner of this partnership, 3M has compiled these useful Tips on Creating a Healthier Home.
What is MPR?
MPR (Microparticulate Performance Rating) is a system developed by 3M to rate the ability of its residential-use 3M Filtrete™ filters to capture tiny airborne particles (between 0.3 and 1 micron in size) from the air that passes through these filters. According to 3M, particles can include fine dust, smoke, smog, bacteria, pet dander, pollen, dust mite debris, mold spores, and other particulates. 3M developed the system to help consumers compare different Filtrete filters based on the filtration level needed. The higher the MPR number, the better the 3M Filtrete filter is at capturing very small particles. So, for example, a Filtrete filter with an MPR of 1500 is better at capturing small particles than one with an MPR of 1000.
What is MERV?
MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) is also a rating system, initially developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (known as ASHRAE) to measure the filtration performance of whole-house or building air purification systems. It, too, measures the ability of a filter to capture particles, but typically these are particles of a larger size (in the range of 0.3 to 10 microns). MERV ratings are on a scale of 1 to 16 (sometimes extended to 20), and are reputed to represent the worst case performance of a given filter, under test conditions. Like MPR, the higher the MERV rating, the better the filter is at capturing smaller particles that pass through it.
How does 3M's MPR rating compare to MERV?
As described above, MPR differs from MERV. The MERV system measures a filter’s ability to capture large particles. The MPR system only takes into account microscopic particles between 0.3 and 1 micron because these are the particle sizes that most affect allergy sufferers and those with sensitivities. While there is no official comparison of ratings available between the two systems, unofficially, the industry reports:
|3M Filtrete 1" Air Filter||MPR Rating||MERV Rating|
|• Odor Reduction (gray package)||1200||11|
|• Ultra Allergen (purple package)||1500||11|
|• Ultimate Allergen (deep blue package)||1900||12|
|• Elite Allergen (black package)||2200||12|
- Please follow installation instructions provided on the filter's packaging.
- We often recommend that you run your furnace fan in the "on" position for a week after installing a Filtrete air filter for the first time, so you can quickly reduce the dust and allergens in your home’s air.
When to Replace the Filter:
- An air filter's actual effectiveness in reducing allergens in the home depends on several factors, including how much air the filter processes, the nature and type of the allergens it is processing, and the rate at which the allergens are being introduced into the home. Electrostatic filters are most effective when new and clean, and become less effective over time, as they get clogged with particles.
- Replace the 3M Filtrete Ultra Allergen 1500 Filter every three months, with normal use. At the beginning of each season is a good way to remember.