Filtrete 1550 Allergen Reduction 4" Filter
Works with Models:
Honeywell 16x25 Media Air Cleaners: F25, F35, F100, F150, F200, and other media air cleaners using 16x25" media
Honeywell 20x20 Media Air Cleaners: F25, F35, F100, F150, F200, and other media air cleaners using 20x20" media
Filtrete™ 1550 Allergen Reduction 4" Filter by 3M can be used to replace the filter in selected Honeywell Media Air Cleaners (models listed below), or any whole-house media air cleaner that uses a nominal 4-5" thick filter.∗ Installed, this filter is used in conjunction with your furnace or air handling system to remove airborne allergens and contaminants when the system's blower is on.
This high-performance, 3M pleated filter uses electrostatically charged Filtrete fibers that act like tiny magnets to attract and capture 97% of particles, like dust, dander, pollen and spores, as air circulates through your system. The Filtrete 1550's sturdy cardboard frame requires no assembly, making it much easier to install than traditional collapsible filters. Overall, a smart choice for replacing the air filter in your existing system. Change filter every 12 months, depending on use. Available in 3 sizes. Box contains one (1) 3M Filtrete™ 1550 Allergen Reduction 4" Filter for Media Air Cleaners.
|∗Note:||Be sure to measure your existing furnace air filter carefully before ordering. This Filtrete furnace filter may actually be from 4" to 4-3/8" deep. The same is true of similar furnace air filters from most other manufacturers. So please measure your filter enclosure opening or present filter to make sure this one will fit.|
The 3M Filtrete Allergen Reduction 4" 1550 Filter can be used in the following Media Air Cleaners:
- Choose the 16x25x4 size ‐ to fit Honeywell 16x25 Media Air Cleaners, models F25, F35, F100, F150 and F200, and other brands of media air cleaners using 16x25" filter media.
- Nominal size of the 3M Filtrete: 16" x 25" x 4"
- Actual size (approx.): 15-3/4" x 24-7/16" x 4-3/16"
- Choose the 20x20x4 size ‐ to fit Honeywell 20x20 Media Air Cleaners, models F25, F35, F100, F150 and F200, and other brands of media air cleaners using 20x20" filter media,
- Nominal size of the 3M Filtrete: 20" x 20" x 4"
- Actual size (approx.): 19-3/4" x 19-3/4" x 4-3/16"
- Choose the 20x25x4 size ‐ to fit Honeywell 20x25 Media Air Cleaners, models F25, F35, F100, F150 and F200, and other brands of media air cleaners using 20x25" filter media.
- Nominal size of the 3M Filtrete: 20" x 25" x 4"
- Actual size (approx.): 19-3/4" x 24-7/16" x 4-3/16"
- Electrostatically charged pleated filter traps 97% of larger particles, like pollen, mold spores and dust mite allergen
- Also captures pet dander, bacteria, viruses, odors, and other microscopic particles
- Carries 3M's Performance Rating (MPR) of 1550 (equivalent to a MERV 12 rating)
- Sturdy cardboard frame makes for quick and easy install
- Replace filter every 12 months
What is MPR?
MPR (Microparticulate Performance Rating) is a system developed by 3M to rate the ability of its residential-use 3M Filtrete™ filters to capture tiny airborne particles (between 0.3 and 1 micron in size) from the air that passes through these filters. According to 3M, particles can include fine dust, smoke, smog, bacteria, pet dander, pollen, dust mite debris, mold spores, and other particulates. 3M developed the system to help consumers compare different Filtrete filters based on the filtration level needed. The higher the MPR number, the better the 3M Filtrete filter is at capturing very small particles. So, for example, a Filtrete filter with an MPR of 1500 is better at capturing small particles than one with an MPR of 1000.
What is MERV?
MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) is also a rating system, initially developed by the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (known as ASHRAE) to measure the filtration performance of whole-house or building air purification systems. It, too, measures the ability of a filter to capture particles, but typically these are particles of a larger size (in the range of 0.3 to 10 microns). MERV ratings are on a scale of 1 to 16 (sometimes extended to 20), and are reputed to represent the worst case performance of a given filter, under test conditions. Like MPR, the higher the MERV rating, the better the filter is at capturing smaller particles that pass through it.
How does 3M's MPR rating compare to MERV?
As described above, MPR differs from MERV. The MERV system measures a filter's ability to capture large particles. The MPR system only takes into account microscopic particles between 0.3 and 1 micron because these are the particle sizes that most affect allergy sufferers and those with sensitivities. While there is no official comparison of ratings available between the two systems, unofficially, the industry reports:
|3M Filtrete 4" Furnace Filter||MPR Rating||MERV Rating|
(dark blue package)
- Please follow the installation instructions provided on the filter's packaging.
- It is recommended that you run your furnace fan in the "on" position for a week after installing a Filtrete air filter for the first time, so that you can quickly reduce the dust and allergens in your home's air.
When to Replace the Filter:
- An air filter's actual effectiveness in reducing allergens in the home depends on several factors, including how much air the filter processes, the nature and type of the allergens it is processing, and the rate at which the allergens are being introduced into the home. Electrostatic filters are most effective when new and clean, and become less effective over time, as they get clogged with particles.
- Replace the 3M Filtrete 4" Allergen Reduction 1550 Filter every 12 months, with normal use.